What is a Liquid Rhinoplasty, or Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty?
A non surgical nose job is really a procedure done with fillers. Fillers are injectable solutions that have become quite popular because they are quick, lower cost, effective, and virtually pain free. Filler treatments can be performed on many parts of the face, and are often used for plumping lips, reducing the appearance of fine lines or wrinkles, and adding contour to areas like the chin and jawline. Fillers are also an effective way to create the illusion of a nose job, without surgery. But this is only true in limited cases.
What Can a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty Do?
Dr. Rahban warns that it’s critical to understand that a non surgical rhinoplasty is NOT simply for people who want a nose job, but don’t want surgery. This is an oversimplification of the procedure, and can lead to frustration and disappointment. Instead, a non surgical rhinoplasty is only a viable option for people who want to add to their nose. Although this sounds like it’s only for people who want a larger nose, keep in mind that the ability to add to a nose can be a surprisingly versatile and effective way of creating the illusion of a different shape to your nose.
How Can Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty Improve the Appearance of the Nose?
When we talk about a liquid nose job as being able to add to the nose, there are certain specific improvements this can bring.
- Low bridge: if you have a low bridge, and you want to correct it, a non surgical rhinoplasty may be a good option for you. A low bridge can be raised by adding filler, building up the nose bridge. Using non surgical rhinoplasty to create a higher nose bridge is an especially common request for people of Asian or African American descent, who tend to have lower nose bridges.
- Nose bump: although fillers can NOT be used to remove a bump on your nose, in some cases we can fill around the bump and give the appearance of a straight, smooth nose. This will not make the nose smaller, but can improve the profile and contour of the nose. This is most effective in someone with a small bump or hump in the nose. With a large bump, a surgical rhinoplasty is often the most effective choice.
- Dip in the nose bridge: 1. : If you have a dip or divot in the bridge of your nose, a non surgical rhinoplasty can correct this is many cases. Fillers work well for correcting dips, because the goal is to add to the structure of the nose, instead of to take anything away.
- Irregularities: In some cases, non surgical rhinoplasty is very effective at correcting irregularities or improving the symmetry of the nose. We can fill in areas with precision, to create the illusion of a symmetric, regular, nasal structure.
- Revisions: Dr. Rahban is often sought out by patients who are not happy with their nose job from another surgeon. As such, he is an expert in revisional nose jobs. In some cases, he is able to perform revisions and corrections non surgically.
What Issues Can Not Be Addressed With Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty?
In some cases, non surgical rhinoplasty can be an excellent alternative to surgery. But in other cases, the only way to get the results you want is through surgery. Here are some examples of nose corrections that cannot be done with non surgical rhinoplasty:
- Bump: A large bump or hump in the nose cannot be removed without surgery. Although fillers can be used to build up the nose around the bump, making a more flat appearance, all we can do without surgery is add to the nose. If you are hoping for a smaller nose, or actual removal of the bump, surgery is likely the best choice.
- Bulbous tip: If what you’re hoping to correct on your nose is minimizing a bulbous nose tip, this cannot be done without surgery. When we fix a bulbous tip, we remove cartilage and rearrange the tip, to create a smaller structure and more defined nose tip. Filler cannot achieve these goals.
- Wide nostrils: if you have wider nostrils and would like to create a more narrow nose shape, surgery is the only option. When we operate on someone who wants less wide nostrils, what we’re doing is removing from the nose. Since liquid rhinoplasty only adds to the nose, we cannot address wide nostrils with fillers.
- Drooping nose tip: Some patients want to correct the tip of their nose, which may appear to sag or droop. We cannot use fillers to correct a plunging or drooping nose tip. This must be corrected surgically.
What Filler is Used to Perform Liquid Rhinoplasty?
Dr. Rahban only uses hyaluronic acid when performing non surgical nose jobs. Specifically, he uses Restylane. Because of his extensive experience, he knows the advantages and disadvantages of every non surgical option. Dr. Rahban has found this filler to be safe, effective, and also importantly - it is thin. When thicker fillers are used, the appearance of the nose can be compromised. A thin filler allows him to be excellently precise. Be very cautious of all other type of fillers being place in the nose.
Is Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty Permanent?
The fillers we use for non surgical rhinoplasty are not permanent. Patients find their results can last up to a year or longer, and then they can come in for more filler.
Can a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty Go Wrong?
Absolutely. Some people think of a non surgical procedure as one that is safe by default. And it’s certainly true that this procedure has no incisions, so there is not the same risk of infection you would have with surgery. However, anything that is injected into your face has the potential to cause significant damage if not done correctly. The nose is incredibly fragile, and its architecture and blood supply must be preserved during any treatment, surgical or non surgical. A mistake during a liquid nose job can result in permanent damage. Fillers injected incorrectly can result in facial deformities and necrosis - which means death of skin - and is almost impossible to correct.
It is critical that the person performing the non surgical rhinoplasty is an expert in the anatomy of the nose’s bones, cartilage, and most importantly the arteries. The nose is an incredibly important facet in your overall appearance. Only trust the most highly trained and experienced of surgeons to perform a non surgical rhinoplasty. Dr. Rahban is a true expert in the anatomy of the nose, and the best way to use fillers with the highest degree of safety and effectiveness.
What is Recovery Like After a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty?
One of the most exciting aspects of a non surgical nose job is that there is almost no recovery period. We only use local anesthesia, and there are no incisions and no stitches. The only evidence of any work being done, is that some patients have mild bruising for a few days after their filler is injected. Sometimes our patients like to schedule their non surgical rhinoplasty for a Thursday or Friday, knowing they can be back at work by Monday.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty?
Overall, someone is a good candidate for non surgical rhinoplasty if they want to correct the appearance of their nose by only adding to the nose. For example, raising a low nose bridge, filling in a dip, flattening the appearance of a bump in the nose, or creating symmetry can all be done non surgically in certain cases. Candidates should be in good overall health, and have realistic expectations. Patients with bleeding disorders are generally not candidates for a liquid nose job.
Who is Not a Good Candidate for a Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty?
If you want a smaller nose, to remove a large bump, to make wide nostrils more narrow, or to minimize a bulbous nose tip, you are likely not a good candidate for non surgical rhinoplasty. These goals are highly achievable with a surgical procedure, but likely cannot be performed to your satisfaction without surgery.
Non surgical rhinoplasty, or a liquid nose job, is an excellent option for people who want to add contour to create the illusion of better shaped nose. It is a non invasive procedure with no need for sedation, and minimal - if any - downtime. The only way to truly know if you are a good candidate for a non surgical nose job is to meet with Dr. Rahban. He will spend time with you and give you a detailed, clear assessment of your goals and the best way to achieve them. Please get in touch with us if you would like a consultation to learn about how non surgical rhinoplasty may help you achieve your cosmetic goals.
Come in for a Consultation with Dr. Rahban
When Dr. Rahban does a consultation with a prospective patient, he wants it to be two things above all others: thorough and honest. He will find out from you just what you want from cosmetic surgery. And he will tell you honestly if you can get the result you want, and how he can best help you do so.